About The Netherlands
Some general facts:
- The Netherlands is a small country with a surface of 41.540 km2, of which 27% are below sea level.
- The Netherlands is a kingdom with a democracy in which power is divided between the king (queen), ministers and parliament.
- The country has 12 provinces. Each province has its representatives and leaders.
- The number of inhabitants is approximately 17 million, making The Netherlands among the countries with the highest population density in the world.
- Official language is Dutch. Over 80% of the population speaks fluent English. Many speak also German and French to some extent.
- The Netherlands is one of the founding members of the European Union (EU).
- The Netherlands has an open economy that is among the top 20 in the world.
- The country has a developed infrastructure and efficient public transport system, one of the best in the world.
- Payment currency is the euro €.